Sunday, March 14, 2010

Yummy fruit and nut breakfast bread

I love hearty breads with fruit, nuts, and whole grains. This is a bread machine recipe, but it would make a very nice loaf using traditional bread baking methods.

1/3 cup hot tap water
1 teaspoon white flour
2 teaspoons yeast
couple drops of honey

Place these ingredients in the bottom of your bread machine. This is my bread machine version of proofing the yeast. Let sit for about 5 minutes.

1 cup milk, room temp
1 egg
1 tablespoon oil (I use canola)
1 tablespoon honey
2 cups unbleached white flour (I use King Aurthur)
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 rolled oats
1/2 coriander
1/4 nutmeg
1 teaspoon sea salt

put these ingredients in your machine in this order. I use the basic setting on my machine. My machine as a delay buzzer for adding nuts and fruits. I wait for that before I add:

zest from 1 lemon
1/2 cup dried mixed berries (I get these on the snake aisle at Walmart. Look for something that has no added sugar)
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 crushed pecans

Let the machine do its magic.

This is a very hearty, comforting bread that is great as morning toast. Enjoy!

If you make any of my recipes, please leave a comment and let me know how it turned out.

No comments: