Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Stale Bread Crumb Cookies

This is a very versatile recipe for a basic coco cookie using stale bread crumbs. It has been a while since I have made it (my kids are grown), but thinking about it now, I think I will make some tonight to use the lefter ends of the bread I have. BTW, I only eat whole wheat bread, so I know that works really well. I am sure white is fine, but I have never used it. I did sneak a few stale cake doughnuts in these once. That was really good.

1 1/4 cups unbleached white flour
1 1/4 cups sugar (these are really nice with a combination of white and brown sugar)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup cocoa
1/2 cup milk (you can use water or another liquid)
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2/3 cup melted shortening (for a lower fat version that is tasty, try apple sauce. Peanut butter works too and is YUM OH)
2 cup bread crumbs (I use the food processor to make these really fine)

1. Sift together dry ingredients
2. Combine wet ingredients and add to the dry mixture
3. Add melted shortening (or apple sauce or melted peanut butter) and bread crumbs
3. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto a baking sheet lined with paper or silicon liner.
4. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes or until done.

Don't tell the kids about the lefter ends from the loaf of bread.

No comments: