Sunday, April 11, 2010

Crock Pot Ham and Beans


I took a photo, but I can't find the darn camera now. Look for an update as soon as I find the camera.

This post is dedicated to my friend Mandy who is new to crock pot cooking. I know she will love this recipe. I learned to make this when I was about 10 years old. I used to make this from time to time for my family growing up.

A few facts about this meal

1. Depending on how you source the meat, it is possible to feed your family for less than $2. That is for the whole meal, not per-person. I often make this with a couple of large pieces of left over ham, especially the fatty parts. I freeze the left over bits every time I make a ham to use for this soup. Even when buying the meat for this soup, it is super cheap to feed the whole family.

2. You do not have to soak the beans overnight when using a crock pot to cook beans.

3. Crock pots use way less energy than the stove.

4. The meat is not the center piece of this soup, the beans are. Since the meat is flavoring, you can feed your whole family with a very small amount. You can also leave the meat out.

1 lb. bag of dried beans -- cook's choice. I prefer great northern or black beans, but any dried bean is fine. Lentils and split peas are nice too.

Small amount meat of choice (a few oz of left over ham (esp. fatty parts), 5 or 6 strips of bacon, or a ham hock are all good choices)

2 - 3 carrots diced

1 stalk celery with leaves diced

1 small onion diced

1 bay leaf

water to cover beans in pot, about 2 quarts.

Salt and pepper to taste.

Put all ingredients into slow cooker except salt and pepper (the pork cuts used can be salty, so it is best to wait until soup is nearly done and taste test seasonings). Set cooker on HIGH for 4 - 6 hours or LOW for 8 - 10.

Serve in bowls with Molly's Country Corn Bread.

Simple, cheap, and totally yummy!

Enjoy.

1 comment:

Froggie said...

Molly,

I make ham and bean soup often. I like to start off with a couple smoked pork hocks and boil them for a couple hors- gives the soup a great depth in flavor..

AlsoI add about one tablesppon of cider vinegar to the bowl on serving. It brightens up the dish. Beans and vinegar are friends.