Sunday, August 03, 2008

Molly's Country Corn Bread

I love corn bread. I could eat it everyday. You all may remember that I bought a bag of stone ground corn when at Spring Mill State Park, and you may also remember that I purchased some homemade butter in Amish country not to long ago. I decided to mix my two old-fashion purchases together into a wonderful treat. Oh my, so very yum oh.



Recipe

1 C stone-ground yellow cornmeal
1 C unbleached white flour
1/2 C sugar (I just used white, but brown or a mix of brown and white would be nice too)
1/2 t salt
1 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
2 T shortening
1 egg
3/4 C milk

Combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Cut in shortening until the mixture looks like tiny peas. Make a well in the mixture and add the egg and milk to the well. Slowly fold together and mix until all the dry bits are wet (no longer). Back in a large cast iron skillet in the oven at 350 for 20 minutes.

Happy knitting (and eating)!

No comments: